Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I Miss California

When you live in places like Oklahoma City and southern Alabama, no wait, make that the Florida panhandle, you have to accept that it is a lot more conservative and everyone except you and a few others regularly attends church. And of course, once they figure out you don't go, they are always trying to invite you. We always politely decline. It's not that we have a thing against going to church, but I can't be a part of a group that discriminates against gay people. (Which most churches do around here) End of story. You can't really say that to your dentist as he holds the big needle in one hand and a drill in the other!!! So, my standard leave me alone line is something to the effect of we have been thinking about going to the church where Rachel's nursery school is. Apparently it's a fine church and everyone backs off and you don't have to get into the big, big gay discussion.

Anyway, our itty bitty local library has an 'Inspirational' sticker that it will put on the binding of the book to put it in yet another category. It's a pink sticker with an angel or something and about the size of a thumbail. Great, good, thanks for the warning. So, I checked out a few books one day while at the library with the kids. Basically I don't have much time to look for books for myself because Russell is trying to find books for me - Hey Mom, how about this book with this rocket, fire, beautiful woman, whatever on the cover? (He's is in the paperback racks) And then there is Rachel who looooooooooooooooooves to run thru the aisles and gleefully exclaim "Whoooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". I try read about books online before we go to the library and then try to find them quickly. So, I saw one book by Dee Henderson. The name sounded familiar, the back said it was about a US Marshall and a forensic pathologist and there was no pink sticker. Worth a try!

I get it home and start reading. A mystery, not the greatest writing, but not bad either. Interesting enough to continue reading and then about halfway thru it hits. It's a total holy roller book. And not that the characters are just religious, they are on a mission to get all the other characters to church. And it isn't in the friendly way that people try to get you to church, it's the harassing, manipulating way and then that US Marshall turns into a pseudo-preacher. Ugh, what happened to the mystery? The new mystery is why this book is missing its little pink sticker! And, I am not against religion, but if I wanted it shoved in my face, I'd go talk to one of the neighbors or my dentist!

My new strategy when going to the library is to make a quick list ON PAPER. A quick funny about our library... I was trying to find the book "The Devil Wears Prada" before Christmas. When I asked the librarian for help, she said and I quote "Oh, I don't think we have THAT book". I miss California.

1 comment:

christinenicole1 said...

I know what you mean. It was like that when I lived in Arkansas for that one year. People assumed everyone from San Francisco was gay, and i am not really exaggerating. It was so weird! While I was cracking up over your entry, I was also very very sad. It is too bad that censorship is alive and well in our public libraries and children are of course pay the price of indoctrination. Hopefully schools are teaching evolution....