Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First Grade, Riding the Bus and Goodnight Butterflies



Monday was Russell's first day of First Grade! It was pretty uneventful and no tears from the hormonal, pregnant mother. Here is the obligatory first day of school picture. I think he wore the same thing for the first day of Kindergarten!! He had to button the top button of his polo shirt and I have no clue why. This year we had to upgrade our lunchbox - we are so over Darth Vader and absolutely had to have a Pirates of the Caribbean lunchbox.

So far school is going well. Yesterday he came home and had to tell me all the kids he saw from his Kindergarten class and who he didn't find. He has 2 friends from K in his class this year, so he was really excited to see his friends and find the rest at lunch, PE, etc. Today he came home and said "I found Will!! But I still haven't found Dylan." He has also been looking a lot at his yearbook from last year, finding new and old friends' pictures.

Something new this year for him is to ride the bus home. For the past couple of years I have picked him up form school. It was getting to the point where we were only beating the bus by 5 or 6 minutes and Rachel wasn't getting a good nap. I am not ready for her to stop napping!! So, with the baby coming and all that, we thought we'd try the bus in the afternoon.

There was a little concern over where the bus stopped - I could just see myself waiting for him and the bus drives by, AH!!! But, it stops exactly where I thought it did, around the corner from our house, just a minute or two to walk, perfect! I gave his driver a little gift of just a baggy of some candies and tied a nice bow on it. She was thrilled. I just figure being a school bus driver is a thankless job, but when you think about it, it is one of those jobs that helps make the world go around, you know?

Okay, Miss Rachel. Let me just write that yesterday was the biggest public temper tantrum she has ever had. What, Rachel??? Shocking!!! Ha! It happened at school in the PTO room because she didn't want to leave. Ugh. We spent some time in our room when we got home.

She has this new way of going to bed that I also want to share : ) We both lay in her bed here is what we say:

R-Good night butterflies (she has butterflies that hang from her ceiling) Me- I repeat what she says

R- Good night bunnies (an iron bunny decoration hanging on her wall) and again, I repeat

R- Good night red wall (she has one red wall) I repeat

She turns to me and whispers - Good night Mom, I whisper good night to her

Then she asks for a hug and kiss (like she wouldn't get one!!) and she whispers I love you, of course, I repeat, and off to dreamland she goes. It is so cute.

No comments: