Monday, August 25, 2008

If You Move Here, They Will Come

One thing people told us over and over again – if you move to Vegas, you'll have more visitors than you'd ever think! Everyone seems to always find a way, especially with free lodging. I can't say 'they' were wrong!!! In fact, we've have been here less than two months and my mom has been here twice, Adam's mom's 3rd visit will be this weekend, and of course, my Dad & fam were here in July. My brother will be here some time in October and we have heard from lots of friends that travel to Vegas regularly to plan to see them too! It really is a lot of fun for us and we welcome everyone to come - especially after being so far away for such a long time. So, we are here and we want you to come!

I did get the chance to go to California last weekend. My mom flew in and we drove all 3 kids on Friday to my Aunt Kate's (mom's sister) house in Orange, CA. We stayed there Friday night and my Uncle Dexter, (mom's brother), his wife, Linda and their son Ryan came over to see us. We had a nice visit and it was good to catch up and show off the kids ; ) Some of you know, my Aunt Kate has incredible style/eye for design. Her yard is creative & immaculate and her home is beautiful and full of things that little hands like touch!!! Ha! Can you see where this going? Well, it is NOT going there because my kids did not break a thing!!! Well, we almost broke the fountain outside with bubbles – I know that sounds impossible, but it's true! Maybe I'll offer a prize to the reader that can guess how we almost broke the fountain….

Saturday we farted around at Kate's house and then went to see my Nana (90 years old) in Long Beach. Some of you may know that Nana is suffering from Alzheimer's. It has been frustrating for me because I have been far away and couldn't tell for myself how she was really doing. I call Nana faithfully every weekend, she repeats the same stories over and over, and she knows what answers to say to how they are doing – I still clean house (nope), I still make breakfast (no, again), we don't have a car, so I walk to Albertsons that's 1 mile away (never). My mom and Kate would both share their observations, but it is hard to tell what was really happening. I thought Nana looked good, healthy despite the fact she wears the same clothing every day and I don't think she bathes very often. I have argued over the last year to hire some in home help and even found a couple of agencies. But, what the hell do I know from across the country? Well, it was decided this weekend that they are going to hire someone to come in and help starting in September! Again, what the hell do I know? What has passed has passed and it is going forward. I think my mom has been the most forceful, making this happen, so I am relieved. It was good to see Nana and she loved seeing the kids and holding the baby. I look forward to being able see her again soon.

We drove home Saturday to give Russell the day on Sunday before he headed back to school. We had intended to stay another night at Kate's but decided to go on home. Now…. Russell's first day of school is a whole other entry, maybe I can do that tomorrow.

No comments: