Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bah Humbug!

I have to admit, I haven't been quite in the 'spirit of Christmas' this year. Adam and I were so focused on this being the first (and hopefully) Xmas away the kids, that we failed to realize it was our first Xmas away from each other too. Bummer. It was harder than I thought. I really felt like I went through the motions more than anything as far as decorating and doing all the things I like to do to get ready for the holidays. I just didn't get a lot of joy like I normally do. Plus, I had to lug all the crap out and put it all away. That's Adam's job. I just do the fun decorating!!! My whole back issue didn't help either, but that's my next blog entry.

One day Russell told me 'we need some Xmas spirit around here!" He then told me our outside lights didn't look that good. I had to agree. My outside lights were pathetic. Inside the house was great, a little less than last year, but I think less is more sometimes. Then he told me he'd like to have some lighted penguin because that is his fave Xmas decoration. So, off I went one day to find a penguin, a few more lights, found a few other things and we were in business.

Rachel on the other hand has been having a hard time with the deployment. Very moody, easily upset, whinier than she has ever been, it is a little sad. One day after school she was crying b/c she just wanted dad home for Xmas. How can that not tear at your heart, poor thing. So, I don't think that helps me either.

As it turned out, we had a pretty good Xmas. DPA (Dad, Pam, Adelle) came on the 20th and left on the 28th. They really helped bring in some Xmas cheer and Aim got a much needed break. Can I just say that Pam is seriously the most patient person on the planet?!? Wow. She was a lifesaver this week. I can't even begin to list everything she did, but she was amazing. She took the baby monitor as promised and didn't give it back until they left. I think she wanted to take it with her when they left. I really appreciated everything she did.

Adelle was a real sweetheart. She dutifully stayed home and helped and I got to go out and do Aim things – finish shopping, go to the gym, go to the Orthopedic surgeon, get my hair done (I met my gay guy's gay guy, he is so cute, but that's a whole other story!). Adelle is 14 and staying home at your sister's house to help with the kids is not high on any 14 yr old's to do list. But, she did it without complaint. We did go to the movies twice. We saw New Moon and Sherlock Holmes. I enjoyed them both. New Moon was fun b/c that one actor has a hot bod and Adelle and I had fun making comments and adding to Bella's lines that referred to his hot bod. Holmes was a fun one. There wasn't a hot werewolf, but we lived. We did so some shopping together too and that is always fun. I have to record for the official record… I bought Adelle a shirt that she loved, but I bought the wrong size – her chest has grown and her shirt size has gone up. We had to exchange for another shirt that wasn't as cute. I felt good that I could pick out something that she actually really liked! Ha!! I also got her some make up brushes and new makeup bag that were apparently perfect. I was on a roll with the teenager this year! Just had to get that on the record ; )

My Dad helped with the kids too, but also did all the stupid things I don't like to do – lock the doors at night, take out the trash, pick up milk; he even took my car and got it detailed.

Santa was good to all at my house and I was apparently especially good this year! DPA spoiled me rotten with all their help, gifts and they took the kids out to shop for me. Russ bought me some latest version of Battleship b/c I told him HE couldn't have, but I guess in his mind that meant that I could have it! (He has like 3 Battleships already) He told DPA that I was going to 'freak out with happiness' when I opened that gift. I laughed of course and made a comment like "You are as good at buying gifts as your Dad!" If anyone knows my clipper story, you understand. If you don't, email me and I'll tell you. Rachel bought me a robe b/c I needed a soft one like hers. The one she picked out is turquoise, which I have been wearing a lot of turquoise lately. What made this robe so funny is that it is like Cookie Monster turquoise/blue and it is fuzzy, soft and kind of looks like Cookie Monster's fur. So, we call it my Cookie Monster robe and I have to sing "C is for Cookie" and say "Mommy want cookie, ararararararararrarr" when I wear it. Rowan got me a massage gift card and I can't wait to use that! Ha! Who knew that kid had such great taste??? I really got a kick out seeing what the kids picked out.

So, now they are gone and my next round of visitors comes on Weds. Adam's mom, stepdad and brother, Morgan, come for New Year's. I will miss Adam at New Year's too. He always gives me such a great kiss at midnight if we stay up that late….

No comments: