Friday, February 02, 2007

What's the going rate for a tooth these days?



Russell lost his first tooth last Weds. at school. From what we know, it was during PE and according to him "it flew out of my mouth and into my hand and I ran and told Coach!" He is THRILLED!!!!! They have chart at school about losing teeth; they get a certificate and a box for the tooth, so obviously, it is huge deal in the land of Kindergarteners. On the way home from school that day, he said he needed to go to the dentist and get his new tooth. (You can forget trying to tell him it will grow in.)
Now, I believe that he actually lost the first tooth he got as a baby, but I'm not 100% sure. So, bedtime came and we put the tooth in its little blue box from school and put it under his pillow. I explained the tooth fairy would bring money and he said toys or candy would be okay instead. So then I had to tell him how small the tooth fairy was and she couldn't carry toys and candy. That seemed to be reasonable.
Well, would you believe she came and left a whole dollar for that one tiny tooth!?! She (well, he...) even folded it up really small so it would fit in the blue tooth box to go back under the pillow sans the tooth! Wow, a dollar! Needless to say the toothless boy thought it was amazing to get a dollar folded up in a tiny square and decided that his tooth fairy must be 'medium sized' and not tiny. How else could she fold up a dollar into such a tiny square?
Indeed.
On Thursday mornings, I am able to volunteer in Russell's class for an hour. (Rachel is at nursery school during this time, although she'd love to spend time in class with all the kids!) It is a real treat to get to know all the kids and work with them and get to know Russell's teacher and the aide in his class. Every once in a while Mrs. Reinstatler and I can 'conference' a bit about Russell and keeping him on his successful pace; something I really value. The latest Russell chat was about his reading level and critical thinking skills. On the scale of 1 - 5 (5 being the highest), Russell's indivual reading level is a high 4 almost 5. And apparently Russell will ask questions and make comments about everything they are doing in class that none of the other kids ask or notice. An 'out of the box' thinker at appropriate times! His teacher has said to me before that often times when they are repeating a skill he has already mastered in group, she can tell his mind is elsewhere and wherever he is, he's having a great time. She says she'll think to herself, Russell, where are you and can I go too???
On the potty front - Rachel used it twice last Sunday, but that is it. No new tinkles. Ha! It's a start, we'll get there.
And a 'Year of Fitness' (you know, THE voice) update - a bad sinus infection has set me back. I spent all of the last weekend on the couch or in bed and watched way more TV than I wanted to. Adam is still on track, using the treadmill and his workout DVDs. I hope next week I will have my stamina back to really get going again.
And one last Aimee story before I sign off. Earlier this week a fellow AF spouse (who I've never met) calls and invites me to a 'last minute baby shower' for another spouse (who I do know) this Sunday and wants to know that second can I come? Uhhhhhhh. Oh, and did I mention the kids are fighting over something trivial and are both screaming loudly AND Adam is at school, so I can't give him the 'quiet your children' stare!!! ; ) All I can think to say is "Isn't the Superbowl on Sunday????" Her: "I have no idea" Me: "Yes, I know it is. What time is the Superbowl on? I think it is in the evening." Her: "Yes, I think if it is on, it is usually on in the evening" Me: "I'm sorry, my children are screaming and my husband is not home. Here's the deal, if the Superbowl is on at night, then I can come to the shower that afternoon. But, if the two coincide, I can't come. We are big NFL fans." I am such a loser and I am sure she thinks the same. However, Peyton helped me win the Superbowl last year, I can't not root him on while he's playing in HIS Superbowl. That would just be rude!!! Ha! But, as it turns out, I can go to the shower and get home in time to watch the big game. Go Colts!

No comments: