Monday, May 28, 2007

Consider the Garden SEIZED!

And I feel so much better!! After deciding that I really disliked the yard, I have been getting really dirty and a little impulsive. One morning after aerobics, I just decided that I'd get to work in the backyard. What that means is cutting down these huge Leyland Cypress 'trees'. They are huge bushes really that are as tall as many trees and they are meant to make a privacy screen in your yard. We used to have them on all 3 sides of the backyard along the fences. They are very green and serve a useful purpose. However there are a few problems with them. 1 - they block the fence, so it is impossible to repair or replace any fencing. (This is why we removed them on the east side of the backyard right before Christmas - we needed to replace that fence) 2 - when you have a whole row of them that are all similar in size and then, say, a hurricane does damage to your row and several in the middle are taken out, you have this gap. The gap is hard to fill as the taller ones around it block the necessary light to grow new ones and it looks funny to just plant something else in the gap of your big green blockade. I tried to plant some news ones to fill the gap and they keep dying, hence my frustration and discontent with the yard.

Okay, so back to my impulsive behavior. Back from aerobics with Rachel in tow and I realize the yard waste people have yet to come and collect our neighborhood's yard waste. So, I think what a great time to start taking out those remaining cypresses on the west side of the yard. And then a self challenge... I wonder if I can cut them all down myself before they come collect the yard waste???? Hmmm, the chainsaw is broken.... Hmmmm, I don't like to use it anyway...... Hmmm, I have lots of other cutting tools.... Well, let's see what we can do. So, I get Rachel settled in for a nap, I get out my heavy duty garden gloves, find every saw and pruning tool we own, and I get BUSY. I start on one and it didn't seem to take too long. I get going on the next, done. Before I know it, all 6 are down and the yard waste man hasn't come yet. Damn, I'm good. What's next? Yea, that's right, it is wheelbarrow and dragging time. I am just giddy with myself. I start hauling it all out to the driveway, making a gigantic pile and then I hear the rumbling of the yard waste truck. Just under the gun, I get it all out, piled in a heap taller than myself. I think I'll say it again: Damn, I'm good.

The remaining stumps you ask? Well, I am not that impulsive - I called some guy to come grind them. He calls himself the "Tree Doctor" and he's missing his 2 front teeth and so are his assistants! What do I care??? They ground out the stumps for cheap, making way for the planting. Which we did and it looks terrific!

The next big project - taking out some grass (yippee!!!) and building some raised plant beds for veggies and such and then filling in with gravel around the beds. I told Adam it was all I wanted for my birthday!!! I can't wait!! I will proudly post some pictures of the completed project soon.

Oh, and thinking of birthdays... Mine is Thursday and I'll be 34... that's not the point though. Yesterday I bought some beer at the grocery store and I got carded! What a great birthday gift ; )

No comments: