Monday, November 24, 2008

The Christmas Spirit

I know, it is too early for Christmas, but for me it isn't…. Well, first of all our old computer got some Trojan bug that we couldn't get rid of and I didn't want to go thru the whole geek thing again. It just didn't seem worth it to pay for that all over again. So, it was last week when I figured that out. And I was bummed. Who wants to spend the money on a new computer? So, I decided to cheer myself up and get out the Christmas Tree. I have a fake one that I bought in 2002 in Oklahoma and I heart it! Perfect size, perfect shape, has the lights on it, I love it. But, last year I had to do a number fixing the lights, so I really wasn't sure what to expect when I plugged them in this year, especially after a move. Yea, it was bad. Like half the lights were out. This was supposed to cheer me up and I was totally bummed thinking I had to get a new tree too. Bah. Humbug - before Thanksgiving even.

Then I really started looking at the tree. Love the shape, love the size; it just needs lights. Look closer, well, the lights are strung on pretty tight, but I could clip them out….. I start my plan and Adam thinks I am crazy – just get a new tree is his suggestion. So, I look at new trees and I like mine best. So, I bought new lights and decided I would save my tree!!!!! I clipped out tons of lights off my tree. I ended up taking each branch off and taking the lights off from there. And once I got in a groove, it wasn't too bad. Another perk?? The bottom row of branches is too low on my tree. The presents always push them up and the branches are in the way. So, I took them off and kept them off – bonus! I started to think of a new goofy show – trick out my tree! It took me 3 days of a little here and there, but I stripped the tree of the old non working lights and put on new lights. Colored lights this year, we have had white lights since we were married. The kids are thrilled. Rachel likes the pink lights best and Russell likes the red.

So, of course, if I have the tree out, then I must get out the Christmas boxes. Last Christmas, when taking everything down, I took so much time to wrap all my precious ornaments and decorations, knowing we were moving and knowing that the movers would not pack it as well as I would. If I don't say so myself, I did an AMAZING job. I don't think anything broke! Phew. Saturday we started decorating the tree. I couldn't wait, I had to do it. Typically that weekend after Thanksgiving is when I do the whole Xmas decorating thing. This year we are going to Lego Land after Thanksgiving, so really, I have to do it ahead of time to stay on schedule ; ) It will be fun to come home to a Xmas house after Thanksgiving. That's what I keep telling myself to rationalize my early decorating. I always laugh when I start the tree – every year I have the same thoughts. I think when I first start: 'How am I going to fill this tree? I don't think I'll have enough. You always have enough, at the end you always think you have too many and you wonder how to put them all on.' And it is so true, I think the same things – Why don't I learn my lesson from the last year?

You know, I really enjoy decorating the tree. I love my ornaments. I really do. I treasure each one. I can probably tell you each ornament's history – was it a gift from one of my many thoughtful friends? Did I buy it after Xmas on super sale in Napa, FL, or OK? Was it one the kids made? (Easy answer there!) Was it an ornament from my childhood? When we lived in Napa, I used to always go to this store on Jefferson Ave that was a party supply store, but had lots of fun ornaments. I would run into friends that I worked with at Redwood Middle School. One in particular was Pat Caceres. Pat was my 8th grade Math Teacher and then I worked with her at RMS. She is so sweet. After she realized that I was ornament hunting the day after Xmas, she would buy me snowman ornaments at other stores that she knew I was not going to. I could tell you every ornament she bought me. Steve Culbertson, another one of my 8th grade teachers that I taught with told his wife that I was a snowman gal and she bought me a bag full. I still have every one of those ornaments. I have always loved those bulb ornaments that are painted on the inside of the bulb. How do they do that??? Christine sent me my first one, snowmen of course, and I really treasure it. I always hang it front and center and think of her when I hang it. I bought an ornament last year with a Santa holding a lamb. I bought it at Kohls and I bought it b/c Rachel's school was called Little Lambs in Florida. I knew that we would be moving and I knew when I hung that ornament it would remind me of Little Lambs and what a wonderful school it was and how lucky I was to have Rachel enrolled. And this year, I did just that as I hung it on the tree. Each one has its own story and memory, such a joy to remember each one and share with the kids. That really makes me happy.

One side note as we were hanging ornaments this year. I still adore my snowmen, but I seem to have started a new collection without realizing it. I have a new affection for Santas in red coats. Not a conscious thing at all, until now….

No comments: