Saturday, April 07, 2007

Adventures in T-Ball



Russell is playing on his first t-ball team. Our little city runs a pretty decent sized baseball league and has this very large park, baseball complex, community center, soccer and football fields, and the city pound.
At first the team was very organized and we were all excited. Then bad weather struck on most practice days and our little team started to get unorganized. We got it together for picture day, but then our coach became MIA. We have games twice per week. And while we all can't make every game, we do expect the coach to come to most games or call to say he won't be there, or state from the beginning that he scheduling conflicts and accept all the help he was offered from the rest of us. Well, he declined all of our help and then decided to not show. Then last night he shows up and tells some story about how he was filling in until the city could find a new coach.... BS in all of our minds. So, another dad took over coaching, his wife and I have taken over the team mom thing and I think we are getting it together. A disppointing start to the season. We were that team that was always unorganized and the other team parents would sort of give you that 'ugh, one of THOSE teams' looks. But, after last night's game, I think we are getting it together and hopefully we won't be one THOSE teams any longer. It is nice though that we are with a group of parents that will pull together and make it happen when the squeaky wheel falls off.



Miss Rachel. Well, her hair is finally long enough for some pig tails of some sort!! This picture is a little bit old, but you can see her little tails there! She won't leave them in very long and when she takes them out, her hair sort of stays in pig tail form, but they look like horns!!! Hilarious!! Yesterday was Field Day at Russell's school and the PTO was selling snacks and needed help. So, I said I'll stay as long as Rachel will let me. They all know Rachel and her personality, so they knew what I meant. That little stinker was so good! She even took a nap in her stroller when the time came. We stayed all day. I am sure her behavior had nothing to do with being the center of attention of all the parents and 5th grade students helping at the snack bar. Or that Rachel had the gym pretty much to herself to do what she wanted to do. Or that she had her fill of unlimited popcorn. OR that mom brought the little DVD player so she could watch a couple of videos. She was such a sweetie yesterday, we had a lot of fun staying at school all day. But, now that the PTO has seen I can be there with Rachel in tow, I think I'll be asked to do more....
Earlier this week, I got a chance to talk with my friend, LaDean. What a treat!! She is hanging in there. I thought she sounded terrific considering all that she has been through these last few weeks. You know you have a friend for life when you can pick up the phone and talk to someone you haven't spoken with in a few years, but it feels llike you spoke just the other day. I really treasure that.
Next week is Adam's birthday. His mom is coming for a long weekend and we always look forward to her visits. I hope we'll be able to squeeze in some jam making! The local strawberry farm is ripe and ready to be picked, a great time make some jam. I have always wanted to make jam, but feel like I need a jam making mentor. I emailed this to Jamie and she replied she'd try to get some fresh pectin to bring. I thought "What's pectin???" I definitely will need a jam mentor!!!

No comments: