Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's Official

I entered the Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest!

A few years ago, Adam and I saw a show on Bravo TV that was about the Current Bake-Off. They featured a few of the contestants and you got to see what the competition is all about and how it works. There are winners in each of the five recipe categories and one grand prize winner that wins a million big ones. I thought, hell I can use Pillsbury products to try to win a million dollars.

The recipe has to be original and completely yours, oh, and include certain ingredients in the Pillsbury family of products. My recipe that I have done for years is what we call Thai Chicken Peanut Yumminess. It is a peanut sauce with chicken, veggies, pasta, and topped with peanuts and cilantro. Very tasty. Well, peanut butter was never an ingredient and neither was anything else in my dish. So, I have been waiting. Finally this it. This year peanut butter is on THE list. However, pasta is not. So, I thought what I can do with my recipe and fit it into their products??? My answer was making my dish minus the pasta and putting it in a tortilla and baking it like a chimichanga. Da-da-da-daaaaaa the birth of Thai Chicken Chimichangas.

After many trials at home and in kitchens of friends and family, my recipe has been finalized and I entered it last night. It was interesting to see how much it changed after people tried it and made suggestions. (Thank you recipe testers!!!) It is definitely much better than the first version. I have searched and searched and can not find a recipe like it -I am thinking it is very unique!

So now all I can do is wait until like October of this year. They will choose 100 finalists who will all compete in the Bake-Off in April of 2008 in Dallas, Texas. I am really hoping to make that list of 100. I am still not sure if my recipe is good enough to win the big bucks, but the experience of competing would be unforgettable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aim - after "ask.coming" 2008 Pillsbury Bake-Off contestants" I found a link to your Blog. It was the ONLY match! I too submitted a recipe in April (Chili Pot Pie Ole') and when through many of the sames things you wrote about in your Blog - by the way your chimichanga sounds yummy! Have you heard anything yet? Per the Yahoo site for the Bake-off decisions were to be made on or about Sept 30th. I've been fielding inquiries, calls and e-mails from all of my original taste-testers and keep telling them "no news is good news" .....I hope.

Regards,

Kim Dodd - kayjayfl@aol.com