Friday, April 20, 2007

TGIF

And let me say it again. TGIF.

It has been a very hectic couple of weeks. Russell's school had their spring fundraiser, Spring Fling (on Adam's bday). A carnival type deal with goofy games, bake sale, raffle, and silent auction. I was helping with the silent auction and then got put in charge of it and the raffle. So, that was a scramble getting it all organized on top of our normal schedule of tball twice a week, speech twice a week, dentist and doctor appointments, PTO meetings, strawberry picking with Rachel and friends, working in Russell's class, haircuts for me and the kids, getting the house ready for Adam's mom to come visit, getting over a lingering cold, (are you tired yet???) and baking for the bake sale, cake walk, AND soliciting donations for the auction. Plus it was Adam's birthday and trying to make his birthday special - nice dinner, baking his cake, gifts, etc. Luckily Adam's mom is a low maintenance guest and she fits right in with the chaos and is extremely helpful!!!

The Spring Fling. Now that I have done it, next year when I get roped in, it won't be as bad. I think if I do it from the start and I can do it my way, it will be easier. I was led to believe that the actual day of the event was my big commitment. But no, it was half the day Saturday and pretty much every morning and afternoon before and after school this week following up with all the bidders and making them pay and pick up their stuff. We had a lot of furniture donated from Target, so it wasn't easy. And except for Saturday, this was all with Rachel in tow. She now knows where all the goodies are in the front office and pretty much expects special treats every time she's there. Russell is in awe of the office and going behind the counter and seeing what the office really looks like and what/who is back there, that cracks me up. All in all the auction made about $5k, nothing to complain about, in my mind. I think the event all together is holding at about $12.5k. Again, in my mind, nothing to complain about. But last year they made $17k, so there is some snivelling, but not much!!

Yesterday as we were loading into the car I looked down and had a flat tire. So flat. So very, very flat. Of course, Adam was already at work. So, I call the neighbors, Lois and Ray, and Ray takes Russell to school, comes back and changes my flat tire to my full sized spare, (thank you very much!) and tells me where to go to get it fixed. I'm telling you, I have the BEST neighbors. I drop off my tire, they fix it and put it back on within an hour for free. The manager just said, 'Remember us when you need new tires'.

So, now it is Friday - hurray! I got to go back to aerobics, hurray! A normal day, hurray! Russell does have his IEP today. I am not expecting any surprises, but with this district, you never really know. So, I am prepared to fight the good fight, but hoping there's no need. I did warn Russell's teacher that I can be kind of a different person in IEP meetings and you may describe that with the b-word, and she laughed and said she was now really looking forward to it!!! It's sad that these districts just shove this info at parents and the parents don't realize they have a say in what types of services their child receives or how they receive it. I don't put up with THAT. I'll report on the outcome of the IEP next time.

Did I mention it is Friday????? HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: