Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Why?

Rachel has started asking "Why?" She's not even 3 yet, so I thought I had more time before this whole WHY thing started. Russ, with the speech delay, didn't go through the big why phase. He was 4 when he started asking it, but he never asked it a lot.

I did get some recent experience with the whys. My friend, Tracey, has a 3 yr old and he started the why campaign. One day I was watching him while she was at the doctor and after being asked why about 3,ooo times, (well maybe not THAT many, but it felt like it!!), I finally figured out if I answered with a big word that he didn't understand, he stopped asking. You know, like he didn't want to admit he didn't know the word. Why is Rachel's hair curly? Genetics. No response. Hmmm.... And the big word doesn't even have to make sense, you just answer it with authority. Why can't you paint on the walls? Multiplication. Why can't you scream your loudest inside the house? Plyometrics. You get the picture....

Okay, I have been keeping a short list of some of the funny things my kids say and want to post a few for fun and just remember them....

"Where's my hug?" - Rach to anyone she wants a hug from, especially Russell.

"Mom, I have to play with Rachel because she's my friend" - an excuse to get out of cleaning his room.

"That's a lot of belly" - Rachel said to Adam when he was putting on his shirt. In all fairness she will say "That's a lot of teeth, hair, eyes, nose, etc." to anyone she is sitting with.

"Dr. Olson is a doctor like Dr. Seuss, not Dr. Bruno" - Russ said about the vice principal, Dr. Olson, at his school. Dr. Bruno is our pediatrician. I thought it was such a funny and smart observation that I thought that's what they told the younger children at school, so I asked, and nope, he came up with that one all on his own.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, eleven, eleventeen, twelveteen" - the great 2 yr old counter. Usually she can count very well to 10 in English and Spanish, but sometimes seven and eleven get interchanged : )

"We could do time out together" - Russ said to my step mom last summer when he was trying to convince her to give him something that I said No to. And Pam was telling him they would get in trouble if she gave it to him, to which he said....

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, how I wonder what you are, I like to move it move it, you like to .............." - the Rachel medley.

"You have old air" - Russ to his speech therapist when she had bad breath. Luckily, she thought it was funny and not rude.

"Ooooh, how cute __________" - Rachel says about anything cute - babies, her friend Maddie, herself when she's done done something she finds clever or cute.

No comments: