Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bumper Thumper

I am really using the list!!


 

When we moved here last July, we had the Minivan for just a few weeks. I had to take the kids on base to see the new pediatrician and get squared away with Russ's ADHD meds, etc. We were running a bit late and it was my first time to the hospital on base. I parked the van and immediately thought 'I shouldn't park here'. The parking lot spaces and aisles are narrow, there was a big truck across from us and I see every larger car has backed into their spot. I blow off my sense to repark and get the kids in the building –we were running late. Sure enough, when we returned my bumper had a dent and that truck was gone and you guessed it - no note. It just made me sad, you know. I think we had just made our first payment on it. All I could do was cry. (Ok, I was still nursing a 6 mos old and it was 100+ outside – hormonal and hot, not a good mix)

The Honda dealership in town doesn't do body work, but the guy gives me this card of a retired man who sets his own schedule and comes to you to fix those kinds of dents. My other option is to take it to a body shop and they'll replace the bumper. So, I called the dent guy in February. I know, I waited a while, but what I can say, I procrastinated. Well, the dent guy, Alex, is a retired master painter and former Sheriff as it turns out, AND he only takes cash, wink, wink, nod, nod. I got no problem with that. He comes and looks at the bumper, says he can do it for $200. $200, why the hell did I wait so long??? My deductible is like $500 and not having to deal with insurance is a bonus. Done.

Now, Alex makes his own schedule, so I had to rearrange around him, but for $200 I might have even let Russell miss school!!! Ha! He was going to do it at our house, but asked if he could take the bumper to his house and work the dent, paint it and use his heaters to get a good dry finish. I learned how to take off the bumper, (pretty simple), and that the van was missing half the anchors to hold the darn thing on. Never were put in, hmph, Honda. He brought back the bumper the next day; it looks so good, you can't even tell it was dented. It was $200 well spent and now all the moms that I see at gymnastics, ballet, etc. want his name and number b/c apparently everyone has some dent that needs to be fixed and everyone wants a good 'cash only' guy!!!

No comments: