Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pillsbury, Hmph!

I have been meaning to report that I did not make the final 100 recipes for the Pillsbury Bake - Off. Which I am fine with, but would love to know how close I was to the final 100 recipes. Mine was Thai Chicken Chimichangas. Now that the final 100 recipes are published, let me tell you recipes similar to mine in my category that made it:

Thai Style Wraps - not very similar to mine, it used curry.

Thai Chicken Burritos - hmmm.... this one is the closest to mine. A peanut sauce with chicken. The difference there is that recipe mixes PB and salsa (that doesn't even sound good to me) and they fill with rice and I fill with black beans, fresh grated carrots and cilantro. My PB sauce is more like common Thai PB sauce, but mine had cumin in it which we thought really added some depth to the flavors.

Picadillo Chimichangas - I think this was the only chimichanga that made it, but it bakes exactly like mine does. So, that was interesting to see - it wasn't the baking of my chimi that they didn't like.

So, time to reflect. Pillsbury really stressed the importance of an original recipe. I know my sauce was original, but maybe not original enough? I never found one with cumin in it that was published, but that isn't to say it isn't out there. When making my recipe and researching sauce recipes (mainly to see if mine was like anything else) I did find a PB & Salsa recipe on the Betty Crocker website, so they can't be too picky about originality. I don't think that a Thai Burrito is an original concept either. There used to be a great burrito place in Napa and my favorite was the 'Thai Me Down Burrito" - delicious!

Also an interesting observation for me - I played with a recipe using biscuits and eggs, etc. And you basically build a breakfast biscuit with those basic ingredients and some extras and use like a muffin pan to cook it in. I never got one quite right and I can't say that I worked too hard on it either. However, I should have because there are probably like 7 recipes of the final 100 that do exactly that and use those ingredients.

It was fun to get the recipe together and submit it. I still think it is an excellent recipe. But it just isn't my year, I guess ; ) Maybe higher powers think I have enough going on with the baby and moving in the summer, so it is a good thing I didn't get selected.... Yea, that sounds good!!!!

I may have to try the PB & Salsa recipe to compare it. Tomatoes and PB don't sound good to me, but maybe it is very tasty??? Or maybe Pillsbury and I have very different taste buds!!! And apparently, we have differences on what is original and what isn't. I would definitely submit again and am thinking I may have to put making the Final 100 on my 'Life List'. I really think this is a challenge I can take on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there aimnadam.blogspot.com blogger discovered your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com